One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sound heard by a telephone caller when the number dialled is being rung.
- ‘In desperation I rang the local police at Hovingham where a woman answered and put me through to a police crime report section, but this too only responded with a ringing tone.’
- ‘Finally Craig's answer machine cut off the ringing tone.’
- ‘I slammed down the receiver before I even heard the ringing tone, and all at once, I comprehended that I had made my choice.’
- ‘The callers will get to hear the set piece of music instead of the usual ringing tone.’
- ‘He stated that he had phoned on the Wednesday night and throughout the Thursday and that on all occasions the phone was either engaged or he just got a ringing tone.’
- ‘As he leaned over the low brick walls, he punched in a now-familiar number and listened to the dull ringing tone.’
- ‘Dialing the numbers, she raised the phone to her ear and listened to the ringing tone.’
- ‘The call-waiting facility interrupts the current call with a ringing tone to inform you there is another incoming call.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.