One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sound heard by a telephone caller when the number dialled is being rung.
- ‘I slammed down the receiver before I even heard the ringing tone, and all at once, I comprehended that I had made my choice.’
- ‘The callers will get to hear the set piece of music instead of the usual ringing tone.’
- ‘Finally Craig's answer machine cut off the ringing tone.’
- ‘In desperation I rang the local police at Hovingham where a woman answered and put me through to a police crime report section, but this too only responded with a ringing tone.’
- ‘He stated that he had phoned on the Wednesday night and throughout the Thursday and that on all occasions the phone was either engaged or he just got a ringing tone.’
- ‘The call-waiting facility interrupts the current call with a ringing tone to inform you there is another incoming call.’
- ‘As he leaned over the low brick walls, he punched in a now-familiar number and listened to the dull ringing tone.’
- ‘Dialing the numbers, she raised the phone to her ear and listened to the ringing tone.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.