One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A prehistoric earthwork, especially an Iron Age hill fort, defended by circular ramparts and ditches.
- ‘Scattered remnants and fragments of our ancient history are to be found abundantly in the North West in the form of cairns, dolmens and ring forts.’
- ‘And the area was steeped in history with a massive ring fort nearby.’
- ‘The society celebrated Heritage week by engaging in a guided walk to the ring fort at Knocklong on September 7.’
- ‘There is also a thatched roundhouse, ring fort and stone chamber.’
- ‘The Celts also introduced the ring fort, which remained the basis of the social structure of pre-Christian Ireland.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.