One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The finger next to the little finger, especially of the left hand, on which the wedding ring is worn.
- ‘He held up his left hand, palm towards him, and wiggled his ring finger.’
- ‘Then, I picked up the gold ring and placed it on my ring finger.’
- ‘He runs his fingers along the ring finger of my left hand, tracing lines around the gold and diamond wedding band.’
- ‘Judith held out her hand to reveal a small band on her left ring finger.’
- ‘She wore a piece of black lace around her throat and an expensive looking ring on her right ring finger.’
- ‘Before he could reply, he noticed the wedding ring on her ring finger.’
- ‘She held out her left hand and he could see engagement and wedding rings on her ring finger.’
- ‘She smiled and held out her hand where a huge diamond ring glittered on her ring finger.’
- ‘He wore rings on every finger, most of them silver bands, but one on his left ring finger was a large and expensive-looking blue topaz.’
- ‘I can feel their eyes looking at my left ring finger in a search for a diamond or gold wedding band.’
- ‘Sparkling on the ring finger of her left hand was the beautiful diamond solitaire Arthur had presented her with earlier that day.’
- ‘He took the ring out of its box and slipped it onto her left hand ring finger, never taking his eyes away from hers.’
- ‘He placed a diamond engagement ring on her ring finger on her left hand.’
- ‘Manda also noticed a large diamond ring on her ring finger.’
- ‘As I hold his hand I look down and see a ring on his right ring finger.’
- ‘Colin smiled and slid the engagement ring on her left ring finger.’
- ‘His left hand had a gold ring on it, on his ring finger, and both hands had fingerless black gloves.’
- ‘I held up three fingers: my index finger, my middle finger, and my ring finger.’
- ‘When he puts the ring on my ring finger I find myself crying harder because the emotion I am feeling is too strong to control.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.