One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounmass nounNorth American
An outcrop of resistant rock forming a margin to a gravel deposit, especially one forming a cliff at the edge of a plateau.‘archetypal cowboy terrain—tableland, rimrock, canyons’as modifier ‘a gap in the plateau's rimrock cliffs’count noun ‘they stopped for lunch on a rimrock overlooking a stream’
- ‘Wildlife inhabits the rimrock, and golden eagles soar above.’
- ‘The ranch's riding trails head off through open forest toward the Marble Mountain foothills or along rimrock canyon edges with bracing views of Fraser River and the Chilcotin area.’
- ‘As the trio neared the top of the ridge, they found their way blocked by a wall of rimrock.’
- ‘As the mountains pushed up, the river cut deep canyons, the rimrock of which shows 400 million years of erosion.’
- ‘Dominant features of the refuge include freshwater marshes, lakes, meadows, alkali flats, rimrocks, and sagebrush and juniper uplands.’
- ‘The sun was just coming up over the rimrock as I stepped from my room at the Longhorn Palace Saloon and Hotel onto the upstairs balcony.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.