Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A drum stroke in which the stick strikes the rim and the head of the drum simultaneously.
- ‘‘Privacy,’ for example, features an electric piano accompanying what sounds like rustling pages as well as a hi-hat, cymbals, and rimshots.’
- ‘‘Is She a Sign’ initially couches its tale of the pathetic in a fitting sleeve of light rimshots and decaying bass notes, later rocking out with the assistance of guitar and piano.’
- ‘It was cool, though, because during it one of the percussionists was walking through the crowd beating a rim-shot.’
- ‘When Mike Clark opens his album with a one-two beat, lap steel guitar and rimshots, you might want to write him off as just another alt-country type.’
- ‘Toby's drummer hits a rimshot.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.