One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Extreme strictness in interpreting or enforcing a law or principle.
- ‘He worked with rigorism accentuated by simple form and minimalist details.’
- ‘It is self-scourging rigorism of an extreme kind.’
- 1.1 The Roman Catholic doctrine that in doubtful cases of conscience the strict course is always to be followed.
- ‘By contrast, the sort of Church that Montanus offered was one of ecstatic prophecy, immediate eschatology, ascetic moral rigorism, and, at the same time, institutional chaos.’
- ‘A ‘dubious rigorism’ led some in the early church to condemn recourse to secular therapies, and monastic communities at times have used only prayer and other spiritual remedies to treat bodily illness.’
- ‘Nevertheless the rigorism of his ascetic resolve was never relaxed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.