Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A right-handed person.‘righties can't see first base as well as left-handers’
- ‘It is thought that this is because right-handed people are not used to facing lefties because there are fewer of them, while left-handed people play against righties most of the time.’
- ‘Or, are you a righty who wishes he had been born a lefty?’
- ‘You have to know your opponent: whether he's a righty or a lefty, whether he throws straight punches, or if he's a guy that holds on.’
- ‘The tournament was broken down into weight classes for men and women, as well as for righties and lefties.’
- ‘Since I'm left handed and she's a righty, we share a pair as we find it's easier to wear one glove when removing leaves.’
- ‘The May Medal is to be played on Saturday week with Lefties versus righties.’
- ‘I'm a righty, so I lead with that side of my body, thus my right side is a little bit larger than my left side.’
- ‘These clever machines can be set for backhand, forehand, approach and volleys - for lefties or righties - and they exist only at two places in the country.’
- ‘We left-handers are considered more creative than them righties.’
- ‘You'll be able to isolate which pitchers do best with three, four or five or more days rest; how they do against lefties or righties and which tend to perform best before or after the All Star Game break for example.’
- ‘It was a little difficult because he was a lefty and I was a righty but we had managed before and we did this time.’
- ‘Another result concerning handedness of the progeny of discordant monozygotic twins suggests that lefties are one gene apart from righties.’
2A person who supports or is involved in right-wing politics.‘for a long generation, ‘security’ connoted national defense and was a hot-button word for righties’
- ‘‘There is only one voice being heard, which is the voice of the extremists, the righties on their side, calling for war,’ the student said.’
- ‘And for the gun maniacs out there, I am neither a lefty nor a righty, nor do I belong to any political party or affiliation.’
- ‘I'd say we righties aren't predictable mainly because we don't bitch very much - we just run things, like businesses, or countries.’
- ‘However to all you righties out there this is just a start to how we attack this issue.’
- ‘Thus the righties are more inclined to sing one tune - the tune of those in positions of authority - and lefties are more inclined to have many, varied perspectives on any given issue.’
- ‘Allow only lefties to review books by other lefties, as righties are too opposed to their views to give them a fair hearing?’
- ‘However, there is a fundamental difference in the philosophies of lefties and righties that makes righties more tolerant of corporate corruption.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.