Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[attributive] Situated furthest to the right.
- ‘The rightmost lane in each case is the final, completely spliced product: No cassette exons that might be associated with the recursive splice sites were detected at any stage.’
- ‘There is nowhere other than the far right slot to put the USB 2.0 connectors, and the audio and Firewire ports cannot be moved to the rightmost slot.’
- ‘This game involves 3 poles, and a number of rings with holes in the middle, of differing sizes, with the largest at the bottom and the smallest at the top, all on the rightmost pole.’
- ‘The genes in the genetic map between the leftmost gene and the rightmost gene deleted by each deficiency (confirmed by complementation tests) were regarded as those deleted by the deficiency.’
- ‘The black shading of the rightmost and leftmost bars indicate the number of splits with support values of exactly 0 or 1, that is, outside the range of the parametric bootstrap.’
- ‘The two leftmost parts show the main effects of QTL on chromosomes 4 and 11 and the rightmost part shows their joint effect.’
- ‘The rightmost animal (E P / E P) is white with black spots; this is similar to the phenotype observed in Pietrain pigs (not shown).’
- ‘The argument rather is that you can't fight the victory of the rightmost forces by sacrificing your own independent strength to support elements just the next step away from them.’
- ‘On the penny, the letters ‘KG’ appear below the rightmost maple leaf.’
- ‘Notice how the rightmost angle of the formation also resembles the apex of a symmetrical triangle pattern and is suggestive of a breakout.’
- ‘The two rightmost columns in the original table are replaced by three columns in the corrected table.’
- ‘Mutants were divided into six complementation classes, A - F, as indicated in the rightmost column.’
- ‘For the linear model of Equation 1, the expected mean squares are listed in the rightmost column of Table 1.’
- ‘This chart shows the relationships in the rightmost column of the previous table.’
- ‘Mean proportions for both states during testing are shown on the two rightmost columns.’
- ‘The results presented in Table 3 are calculated similarly to those in the rightmost columns of Table 2, except that no limitation has been placed on annual SIPP payments.’
- ‘The rightmost column in any self-respecting periodic table should certainly be the noble gases (Helium, Neon, Argon, Krypton, Xenon, Radon, Ununoctium).’
- ‘In the rightmost panel, protein P has lost one interaction and gained a new interaction partner, whereas protein P * has lost two interactions.’
- ‘When a photo without the flash (but a light source directly in front) is taken, the cover tends to blend in better with the finish of the case, as shown in the rightmost photo.’
- ‘However, once you start pulling data from external memory, as in the rightmost 2 columns, the weak point of the VIA chipset becomes apparent.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.