Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The quality of being morally right or justifiable.‘we had little doubt about the righteousness of our cause’‘conviction of his own moral righteousness gave his oratory an irresistible power’
goodness, virtue, virtuousness, uprightness, decency, integrity, worthiness, rectitude, probity, morality, ethicalness, high-mindedness, justice, honesty, honour, honourableness, innocence, blamelessness, guiltlessness, irreproachability, sinlessness, saintliness, purity, nobility, noble-mindedness, piety, piousnessView synonyms
- ‘Sure, we have our opinion on the issues, but we don't think we have a monopoly on morality or righteousness.’
- ‘Seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and all of these things will be added unto you.’
- ‘During this period he is urged to earn an honest living and follow righteousness.’
- ‘He is a good-mannered hypocrite whose tedious righteousness has driven his beloved wife away.’
- ‘His life is taken as the perfect example for all to follow, and his teaching the only sure guide to righteousness.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.