Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The right-hand side of the human brain, which is believed to be associated with creative thought and the emotions.‘what can we do to enhance the ability of the right brain?’as modifier ‘the value of the right-brain functions’
- ‘He thinks that as machines and routinized processes using low-cost labor get better at the left-brain work, Americans will have to make better use of their right-brain capabilities.’
- ‘It's not about left wing versus right wing; it's about left brain versus right brain.’
- ‘Only when the puzzle involved rules for social exchanges did the right-brain network come on line.’
- ‘During this period, the focus is on right-brain development.’
- ‘An ingenious right-brain designer and an effective left-brain executive, she defies conventional labels - with obvious pride.’
- ‘Would a little less pseudo-science and a little more right-brain reflection on what real people feel and do give us some more valid insights?’
- ‘Maybe we will become adept at switching from left brain to right brain as a means of following our spiritual path.’
- ‘Whether or not they were currently depressed, young women who had experienced childhood depression exhibited unusually high right-brain activity.’
- ‘And at that time I started reading neurology and I decided it was just my right brain talking to my left brain.’
- ‘Marketing appears to be in the throes of a right-brain revolution.’
- ‘If you like spontaneity and seem artistic, you're right-brain dominant.’
- ‘This image is particularly helpful for nontechnical or right-brain type players.’
- ‘The Net message went on to compare right-brain people to those who think with the left side of their brain.’
- ‘If you tend more toward the ‘intuitive, creative, subjective, random and fantasy-oriented,’ you are more of a right-brain kid who could probably use some grounding and some real-life skills.’
- ‘Putting their creativity to work in a competitive environment, these twelve young designers are the right-brain thinkers of the business world.’
- ‘Music is also thought to stimulate right-brain functioning, which is associated with imagination and feelings, especially feelings of sadness.’
- ‘That supremely intricate and elusive organ became the left brain and the right brain, the grey matter and the white matter, the male brain and the female brain.’
- ‘In contrast, word-inspired activity in a right-brain region used to recognize forms progressively declined with increased age of the volunteer and better reading skills.’
- ‘And don't be thinking this is all nonsense from the right brain of a creative type - the maths is real.’
- ‘You say that the foreigners do the left-brain work cheaper, and so this country should focus on the right-brain work and do it better.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.