One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The bank of a river, on the right as one faces downstream.
- ‘Between 1882 and 1891, treaties were secured with all the main local rulers on the river's right bank, placing their lands under French protection.’
- ‘Above Ducie Bridge, the left bank grows more flat and the right bank steeper, but the condition of the dwellings on both banks grows worse rather than better.’
- ‘After the arrival of the Trans-Siberian Railway in the 1890s which crossed the Yenisey River at Krasnoyarsk, the city developed rapidly and spread onto the right bank of the Yenisey River.’
- ‘Here, in this small, unpretentious rural backwater on the right bank of Bordeaux's Gironde river, was where those who favoured silky, supple clarets bought their wine.’
- ‘Beyond the right bank of the river was a headland above which the golden glow of the rising sun was just visible through a crack in the clouds.’
- ‘Killaloe stands on the left bank of the Shannon; cross the bridge to the right bank and you're in Ballina in Co Tipperary.’
- ‘The right bank of the river was only thinly settled, the left bank scarcely at all.’
- ‘In Paris, the old nobility maintained its distance by remaining in Saint-Germain on the left bank of the Seine even when the new boulevards of the right bank and the west of Paris were developed during the Second Empire.’
- ‘Some refer to the north side as the right bank and the south as the left bank.’
- ‘To get to Pukerangiora, take the Waitara Road that follows the right bank of the Waitara River, heading east from the coast.’
- ‘It is located on the right bank of the estuary of the Seine River, 90 km downstream from Rouen and 220 km from Paris.’
- ‘The world's smallest state, Vatican City occupies half a square kilometre on the right bank of the Tiber River in central Rome.’
- ‘By sending his Numidian cavalry to harass the Roman camp on the right bank of the river Trebbia, he provoked the Roman commander Sempronius Longus into crossing to his side.’
- ‘On December 7, Antrim's army arrived on the right bank of the Foyle, and began to cross the river.’
- ‘The Malta rowing course, an artificial reservoir that was created when the Cybina river was dammed, is situated on the right bank of the Warta river which flows through the city of Poznan.’
- ‘He directed the men who already had swum to the right bank to make their way downstream.’
- ‘The Pendleton, Broughton, Greengate and Islington areas of Salford, where there is huge development, stand on the right bank of the river.’
- ‘A major clean up operation has been carried out along the right bank of the Moy estuary from the Icehouse to the Quay.’
- ‘The army of the Catholic League occupied the Electoral lands on the right bank of the Rhine. Spain had already taken over the left bank.’
- ‘Juhapura, on the right bank of the river, has emerged as a huge Muslim enclave.’
A district of the city of Paris, situated on the right bank of the River Seine, to the north of the river. The area contains the Champs-Élysées and the Louvre.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.