Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A defender in soccer or field hockey who plays primarily in a position on the right of the field.‘a midfielder with experience at right-back’[as modifier] ‘the right-back position’
- ‘Dellas and the right-back Giourkas Seitaridis particularly stood out, Seitaridis not only solid but a threat going forward.’
- ‘I can also play at left back or in midfield but right back is definitely my preferred position.’
- ‘Actually, Bansal had shunted Tirkey to the right-back position from being a left-half.’
- ‘Aaron Labonte was the provider this time, darting down the flank from the right-back position.’
- ‘Argentina will be harder to penetrate and more testing of the German defence, with the right-back Arne Friedrich unconvincing.’
- ‘Regular right-back West played his part in the unfolding drama, which has been captured in print.’
- ‘He plays for Tottenham and he is one of their best players and I honestly believe he is one of the best right backs in the premiership.’
- ‘Carragher is playing in central defence for Liverpool but is no stranger to the right-back position and would be my choice.’
- ‘The right-back, incidentally, isn't wearing his trademark bandana.’
- ‘Well how about forgetting left backs and right backs for a moment and focussing on Spurs' abundance of centre backs.’
- ‘Mark Clyde is a contender for the right-back role while Tony Capaldi seems set to keep his place on the left.’
- ‘The right-back, left-back and left-midfield positions are all filled.’
- ‘Neville has made the right-back position his own over the last decade and will rightly hold onto it for the World Cup in Germany next summer.’
- ‘Yet their level dropped and helped Japan begin to threaten with their right-back Akira Kaji finding space behind Gilberto.’
- ‘However last season he snatched the position of right-back from the latter-veteran Lee Dixon.’
- ‘Ferreira is likely to fill the right-back spot, but Rui Jorge will probably edge out Valente on the left side.’
- ‘Robert Huth comes on in place of Scott Parker and goes in at the right-back berth vacated by Mario Melchiot earlier.’
- ‘Portugal's discomfort was accentuated when the right-back Miguel hurt himself and was replaced by Paulo Ferreira.’
- ‘Luke Young, the Charlton right-back, popped up in the centre-forward position.’
- ‘I can't get up and down the flanks like I used to as a right back so moving to the centre was probably a good career move for me.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.