One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Lustful or sexually unrestrained (typically used of a woman).
licentious, sexually indiscriminate, immoral, unchaste, debauched, dissolute, dissipated, profligate, of easy virtue, fastView synonyms
- ‘'If I'm riggish, you're priggish,' retorted Polly.’
- ‘The wanton gesticulations of a Virgin in a wild assembly of Gallants, warmed with wine could be no other then riggish, and unmaidenly.’
- ‘Even a riggish French noblewoman could hardly throw a glamour of romance over so prosaic an interest as the Franco-American trade in fish-oil and salt cod.’
- ‘The landlady happened to be the most riggish female in the Duchy of Milan.’
- ‘A riggish bachelor invites a sweet young thing to his apartment.’
Late 16th century: perhaps from dialect rig ‘imperfectly castrated animal’ (associated with wild behaviour).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.