One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Guitar riffs, especially in rock music.
- ‘Lots of 70's-style rock riffage were a feature of the concert.’
- ‘With the screamo, the manic guitar riffage and the pseudo-intellectual lyrics, Horace Pinker have followed this tried-and-true formula to a tee.’
- ‘Tons of muscular riffage, hand-clapping breakdowns and infectious hooks.’
- ‘Initially a funkified machine of organ-led riffage, it melts into an acid-fried kaleidoscope of intense colored, chaotic noise.’
- ‘Hence, Thieves and Poets: a ballet score in which John McLaughlin surrounds his machine-gun acoustic riffage with impressionistic bursts of orchestral colour.’
- ‘The sound was close to being great all night but never quite clearing up enough to accentuate the brutality of the riffage permeating from the stage.’
- ‘Tempo changes flow gracefully from one to the next, and bright, angular guitar lines are balanced with genuine fist-pumping moments of distortion and riffage.’
- ‘With expert musicianship tucked up their sleeves, the Illuminati don't let the prog bog down the boogie and just let the riffage do all the talking.’
- ‘Your reaction to their sound, which ranges from modern-rock immediacy to the grand guitar theatrics and reverberating vocals of old, depends on your tolerance for excess riffage.’
- ‘Equal parts Swedish harmonics and American riffage, the band continue to incorporate keyboards that share the spotlight with blazing guitars and synthesizer solos.’
- ‘Later songs like "Innocent" and "Whatever" still have the guitar riffage but experiment more in empathy.’
- ‘The only time they don't go for sheer heads-down assault riffage is on the folksy secret track.’
- ‘Behind the Hot Springs ' sweet hooks and sing-song melodies is a punk heartbeat, an intensity embedded in their serrated riffage and Webber's sexy snarl.’
- ‘Girly vocals and madwoman warbling sit side by side in three-part harmonies, while clean hooks and serious riffage carry the tunes along with an easy urgency.’
- ‘Most of the record is fast, somewhat furious and filled with enough riffage to make any gearhead drool.’
- ‘I have it on good authority that the band's previous effort, To Bury Within the Sound, was even more soporific owing to the lack of heavy riffage.’
- ‘"Smile," the lead single, showcases the band at their pop best, with the heavy guitar riffage layered in for good measure.’
- ‘The band's sense of revolution is diluted in Green Day-punk riffage.’
- ‘On the record and live, Jon's vocals are almost unintelligible through guitarist Jared Burke Eglington's extreme riffage.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.