One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small turtle of tropical seas.
Genus Lepidochelys, family Cheloniidae: Kemp's ridley (L. kempi) of the Atlantic, and the larger olive ridley (L. olivacea) of the Pacific
- ‘In the last five years, nests also have been documented for the rare Kemp's ridley and leatherback sea turtles.’
- ‘The olive ridley turtle is one of several animal species that may have suffered a big setback as a result of last month's earthquake and tsunami.’
- ‘With the drilling of the first well now complete, the deep ruts created by truck traffic may keep the Kemp's ridley, already the rarest sea turtle, from its usual nesting grounds.’
- ‘Like all species of sea turtle, the Kemp's ridley possesses temperature-dependent sex determination which has the potential of producing biased sex ratios.’
- ‘Among sea turtles, Kemp's ridleys hide their nests the best.’
Late 19th century: of unknown origin.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.