One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A woman's riding dress, consisting of a skirt worn with a double-breasted jacket.
- ‘She often wore a green velvet riding habit, and made a striking figure.’
- ‘Pip and Lynn were wearing riding habits, Pip complaining grouchily about having to wear skirts, even split ones.’
- ‘I would like to find the black riding habit our lady wore.’
- ‘He saw that she was wearing her riding habit and said, ‘Golden Thunder is down at the track.’’
- ‘There were several other young women with her, all in riding habits.’
- ‘There are some twenty works painted in the 1870s and 1880s that capture women in street clothes or riding habits that were new to the fashion scene.’
- ‘Most of us have Victorian-style riding habits that we use for historical events.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.