Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A minute particle consisting of RNA and associated proteins found in large numbers in the cytoplasm of living cells. They bind messenger RNA and transfer RNA to synthesize polypeptides and proteins.
- ‘Thus transcribing RNA polymerases and ribosomes may all be bound to the same RNA molecule while marching in the same direction.’
- ‘The smallest RNA component of almost all ribosomes is 5S ribosomal RNA.’
- ‘Motors, such as RNA polymerases and ribosomes, produce trailing strands of mRNA and protein, respectively.’
- ‘This necessitated a mechanism for the import of the now nucleus-encoded proteins, which are synthesized at free ribosomes in the cytoplasm.’
- ‘Since these patterns are almost identical, it would appear that HMP associates with ribosomes or ribosomal proteins.’
1950s: from ribonucleic acid + -some.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.