One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The bony frame formed by the ribs round the chest.
- ‘Pull your tailbone underneath you and your ribcage up away from your hips, elongating your spine.’
- ‘Heather grinned at him and poked her perfectly manicured fingernail into his ribcage.’
- ‘There was a huge gash on the side of her ribcage that extended half-way across her chest.’
- ‘The neat, putty-coloured ribbing of the pectoral muscles forms two perfect wings over the ribcage.’
- ‘My heart beat a little harder against my ribcage and I found it a little harder to swallow.’
- ‘He had dislocated a cervical vertebra and torn a cartilage in his lower ribcage, and was ordered by his doctors not to train, let alone compete.’
- ‘Skeletons will use their skulls and ribcages to produce infernal ditties sure to lead your ears into the fairy circles of hell.’
- ‘My legs had gone numb and my heart was slamming against my ribcage, threatening to pop right out of my chest.’
- ‘My instincts are sharp and I easily catch it before it rams into my ribcage.’
- ‘We move into the chamber and carefully pick our way between heaps of skulls and ribcages.’
- ‘You may see the soft tissues of the neck and the area below the ribcage pull inwards during attempts to breathe in.’
- ‘In the emergency feeding centre, Malawian nuns feed withered infants with protruding ribcages an emergency mix.’
- ‘Sticking with the Raptors, Antonio Davis injured his ribcage and will miss some time as it heals.’
- ‘His heart began to beat a furious rhythm inside his ribcage and his throat constricted tightly in fear.’
- ‘Sitting in it is a two-foot high rubber skeleton, its skull slumped forward onto its ribcage.’
- ‘He could feel the stinging pain in his wounded chest with every rise and fall of his ribcage.’
- ‘Curved, diaphanous glass roofs are supported at 8m intervals by gently arching steel beams, like great ribcages.’
- ‘He didn't need a stethoscope to hear my heart clamoring against my ribcage.’
- ‘Because of the shell, the pectoral and pelvic girdles are uniquely located within the ribcage.’
- ‘In monkeys, the shoulder blades are on the sides of the ribcage, the way they are in dogs.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.