One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A method of avoiding conception favoured by the Roman Catholic Church, by which sexual intercourse is restricted to the times of a woman's menstrual cycle when ovulation is least likely to occur.
- ‘And these young men all had girlfriends on whom they practised the rhythm method with breathtaking inaccuracy.’
- ‘All rhythm methods have two disadvantages: they are not 100% effective and they require a lot of abstinence.’
- ‘By now, I take it, the rhythm method of contraception must have passed out of favour.’
- ‘Popes Pius XI and XII went much further, allowing couples to take means to avoid procreation: the rhythm method or natural family planning.’
- ‘Many of Dr Jonas' female patients were Catholics, practising the rhythm method of contraception.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.