Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A muscle connecting the shoulder blade to the vertebrae.→ rhomboid
- ‘A slip at the level of rhomboideus minor, named rhomboideus minimus, extends from the scapula to thoracic or lower cervical vertebral spines.’
- ‘This is a back view on left side, showing slips of levator scapulae to serratus anterior and rhomboideus minor.’
- ‘Muscles acting on the scapula in this section include serratus anterior, rhomboideus minor, rhomboideus major, trapezius, and deltoid.’
- ‘The slip from the inferior angle of the scapula has sometimes provided fasciculi that are directly continuous with the fibers of rhomboideus major.’
- ‘In another report, splenius colli accessorius or rhomboaxoides was found arising from the fascia of rhomboideus minor and serratus posterior inferior.’
Mid 19th century: modern Latin, from rhomboideus (musculus) (see rhomboid).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.