Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for visual purple
- ‘We trace which amino acids contact the chromophore of rhodopsin.’
- ‘The spectra of the intermediates and the ground forms of the rhodopsin family possess a characteristic common feature.’
- ‘The newly identified isomerase enzyme plays a crucial role in the regeneration of rhodopsin visual pigment in the retina after light exposure.’
- ‘We constructed eight mutant rhodopsin proteins and studied the effect of arrestin-mediated deactivation.’
- ‘It is the reddish purple color of retinal that gives rhodopsin its former name visual purple.’
Late 19th century: from Greek rhodon ‘rose’ + opsis ‘sight’ + -in.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.