Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A shrub or small tree of the heather family, with large clusters of bell-shaped flowers and typically with large evergreen leaves, widely grown as an ornamental.
- ‘Pine needles tend to increase the acidity of the soil so they work best around acid-loving plants such as rhododendrons and blueberries.’
- ‘This is one of the reasons that camellias do well on a north-facing wall and rhododendrons flower best in a woodland setting.’
- ‘The air was clear and clean and songbird-sized mosquitoes fluttered around in the decorative heights of gladioli, rhododendrons and tulips.’
- ‘If you need to lower the pH significantly, especially for plants such as rhododendrons, you can use aluminum sulfate.’
- ‘Old Jack Frost and harsh winter winds are drying out plants with shallow roots, such as azaleas and rhododendrons.’
- ‘‘It's ideal for plants that are acid lovers, such as rhododendron, azaleas and heathers, and it's also weed-free,’ he said.’
- ‘There is also a big selection of azaleas and rhododendrons as well as other shrubs such as potentilla.’
- ‘Creating the vista of color and depth are the perennials - daylilies and zinnias and rhododendrons.’
- ‘With that in mind I plan a grouping of azaleas and rhododendrons in the corner formed by the house and wall.’
- ‘The first stretch was done under the shade of huge oak trees with an occasional rhododendron tree bursting into life with blood red flowers or a snake flower aping the hood of a cobra peeping out from the trunk of a tree.’
- ‘At this time of year, the woodland garden brims with masses of colour coming from the thousands of rhododendrons, camellias, kalmias and magnolias.’
- ‘These are gardens for all seasons with the rhododendron dell, the azaleas and flowering cherry trees in spring, and the rose gardens in summer.’
- ‘Lab tests suggest that a lethal disease of oak trees in California and Oregon could strike some popular garden shrubs in the rhododendron family.’
- ‘In July I found mountain anemones, blue and gold asters, rhododendrons and blue gentians.’
- ‘The rhododendron's dark leaves cup the offering of early flowers.’
- ‘Cherry trees in full bloom blend beautifully with the lower growing rhododendrons and provide them with shade.’
- ‘Tracey Gough added to the beauty of the gardens by having a lily pond built and having rhododendrons and azaleas and many more exotic trees planted in the gardens.’
- ‘Can anyone advise me as to whether or not rhododendrons will grow/thrive under eucalypts?’
- ‘He was an expert grower of alpines, rhododendrons and azaleas, and spent his last afternoon working in his garden.’
- ‘There are clubs devoted to every plant group imaginable, from cacti to clematis, roses to rhododendrons.’
Via Latin from Greek, from rhodon rose + dendron tree.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.