One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A shrub or small tree of the heather family, with large clusters of bell-shaped flowers and typically with large evergreen leaves, widely grown as an ornamental.
Genus Rhododendron, family Ericaceae: many cultivars
- ‘The first stretch was done under the shade of huge oak trees with an occasional rhododendron tree bursting into life with blood red flowers or a snake flower aping the hood of a cobra peeping out from the trunk of a tree.’
- ‘At this time of year, the woodland garden brims with masses of colour coming from the thousands of rhododendrons, camellias, kalmias and magnolias.’
- ‘Lab tests suggest that a lethal disease of oak trees in California and Oregon could strike some popular garden shrubs in the rhododendron family.’
- ‘The rhododendron's dark leaves cup the offering of early flowers.’
- ‘This is one of the reasons that camellias do well on a north-facing wall and rhododendrons flower best in a woodland setting.’
- ‘‘It's ideal for plants that are acid lovers, such as rhododendron, azaleas and heathers, and it's also weed-free,’ he said.’
- ‘There is also a big selection of azaleas and rhododendrons as well as other shrubs such as potentilla.’
- ‘With that in mind I plan a grouping of azaleas and rhododendrons in the corner formed by the house and wall.’
- ‘Can anyone advise me as to whether or not rhododendrons will grow/thrive under eucalypts?’
- ‘In July I found mountain anemones, blue and gold asters, rhododendrons and blue gentians.’
- ‘He was an expert grower of alpines, rhododendrons and azaleas, and spent his last afternoon working in his garden.’
- ‘These are gardens for all seasons with the rhododendron dell, the azaleas and flowering cherry trees in spring, and the rose gardens in summer.’
- ‘Tracey Gough added to the beauty of the gardens by having a lily pond built and having rhododendrons and azaleas and many more exotic trees planted in the gardens.’
- ‘If you need to lower the pH significantly, especially for plants such as rhododendrons, you can use aluminum sulfate.’
- ‘Old Jack Frost and harsh winter winds are drying out plants with shallow roots, such as azaleas and rhododendrons.’
- ‘Creating the vista of color and depth are the perennials - daylilies and zinnias and rhododendrons.’
- ‘Pine needles tend to increase the acidity of the soil so they work best around acid-loving plants such as rhododendrons and blueberries.’
- ‘Cherry trees in full bloom blend beautifully with the lower growing rhododendrons and provide them with shade.’
- ‘The air was clear and clean and songbird-sized mosquitoes fluttered around in the decorative heights of gladioli, rhododendrons and tulips.’
- ‘There are clubs devoted to every plant group imaginable, from cacti to clematis, roses to rhododendrons.’
Via Latin from Greek, from rhodon ‘rose’ + dendron ‘tree’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.