One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The seventeenth letter of the Greek alphabet (Ρ, ρ), transliterated as ‘r’ or (when written with a rough breathing) ‘rh’.
- ‘Those in Rho Chi and Phi Lambda Sigma share common interests in attaining and nurturing meritorious academic achievement.’
- ‘He had a dream in which he saw the chi and the rho, the first two Greek letters of Jesus' name, saying ‘In this sign, conquer’, and so he had that emblazoned on a banner he went out the next day under the name of the crucified.’
- ‘This is from Kappa Delta Rho at the University of Delaware.’
- ‘Alpha, rho, tau, sigma, omega: Ash went over the letters he saw in his mind while Lari just stared, apparently in her own little world.’
- ‘You're never going to do the conversion right if you think r is equal to phi sine theta, because it isn't; r equals rho sine theta.’
- ‘She is a member of Sigma Rho Epsilon and Phi Sigma Pi and volunteers with Special Olympics, Natural Ties Program, and Vacation Bible School.’
- ‘That's how they ranked us: Alpha, Beta, Gamma, which was yours truly, Delta, then Rho and Sigma.’
- ‘In some instances student groups such as Academy of Students of Pharmacy, Student Council, Rho Chi, Phi Lambda Sigma, or professional fraternities conducted the nominations and elections.’
- ‘You can see the X symbol commonly today in the overprinted P and X symbols used by Catholics (meaning chi and rho - the first two letters of Christ's name).’
- 1.1Astronomy followed by Latin genitive The seventeenth star in a constellation.‘Rho Cassiopeiae’
- ‘Only a dozen such hypergiants are known, and scientists suspect that Rho Cassiopeiae will soon destroy itself in a supernova explosion.’
- ‘For nearly a decade, astronomers have patiently watched Rho Cassiopeiae, a bloated, relatively cool star 500,000 times brighter than the sun.’
- ‘The final list at the close of the book includes 47 Ursae Majoris, Rho Cancri A, Tau Boötis A, and Upsilon Andromedae.’
2Spearman's correlation coefficient.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.