Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The seventeenth letter of the Greek alphabet (Ρ, ρ), transliterated as ‘r’ or (when written with a rough breathing) ‘rh’.
- ‘In some instances student groups such as Academy of Students of Pharmacy, Student Council, Rho Chi, Phi Lambda Sigma, or professional fraternities conducted the nominations and elections.’
- ‘That's how they ranked us: Alpha, Beta, Gamma, which was yours truly, Delta, then Rho and Sigma.’
- ‘You're never going to do the conversion right if you think r is equal to phi sine theta, because it isn't; r equals rho sine theta.’
- ‘Those in Rho Chi and Phi Lambda Sigma share common interests in attaining and nurturing meritorious academic achievement.’
- ‘He had a dream in which he saw the chi and the rho, the first two Greek letters of Jesus' name, saying ‘In this sign, conquer’, and so he had that emblazoned on a banner he went out the next day under the name of the crucified.’
- ‘Alpha, rho, tau, sigma, omega: Ash went over the letters he saw in his mind while Lari just stared, apparently in her own little world.’
- ‘You can see the X symbol commonly today in the overprinted P and X symbols used by Catholics (meaning chi and rho - the first two letters of Christ's name).’
- ‘This is from Kappa Delta Rho at the University of Delaware.’
- ‘She is a member of Sigma Rho Epsilon and Phi Sigma Pi and volunteers with Special Olympics, Natural Ties Program, and Vacation Bible School.’
- 1.1Astronomy [followed by Latin genitive]The seventeenth star in a constellation.‘Rho Cassiopeiae’
- ‘The final list at the close of the book includes 47 Ursae Majoris, Rho Cancri A, Tau Boötis A, and Upsilon Andromedae.’
- ‘Only a dozen such hypergiants are known, and scientists suspect that Rho Cassiopeiae will soon destroy itself in a supernova explosion.’
- ‘For nearly a decade, astronomers have patiently watched Rho Cassiopeiae, a bloated, relatively cool star 500,000 times brighter than the sun.’
2Spearman's correlation coefficient.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.