One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The part of a clause that gives information about the theme.
- ‘Many of the basic concepts employed in the Prague School functional analyses such as theme/rheme, topic/comment, and given/new do not seem to be clearly defined.’
- ‘I guess I have to admit that I've never heard of the theme/rheme distinction being marked on determiners.’
- ‘It is structured as a series of messages consisting of what Halliday calls themes and rhemes.’
- ‘Over time the term enunciation gave way to rheme, and rheme to comment.’
- ‘The purpose of scanning a scene in this manner is to pick out details and their relations to one another (themes and rhemes).’
Late 19th century: from Greek rhēma ‘that which is said’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.