One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The destruction of striated muscle cells; (especially in horses) azoturia.
- ‘To date, there have been no case reports of rhabdomyolysis.’
- ‘Leading causes of nontraumatic, noncardiac sports death are exertional hyperthermia, followed by exertional rhabdomyolysis and status asthmaticus.’
- ‘His past medical history is significant for multiple hospitalizations for rhabdomyolysis, diabetes, hepatitis C, and psoriasis.’
- ‘Lactic acidosis, rhabdomyolysis, and multiple organ dysfunction syndromes can complicate this disease.’
- ‘Although we did not test for myoglobin in her urine, mild rhabdomyolysis could have contributed to her acute renal failure.’
1950s: from Greek rhabdos ‘rod’ + myo- + -lysis.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.