One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A light theatrical entertainment consisting of a series of short sketches, songs, and dances, typically dealing satirically with topical issues.
- ‘Fitting them into what is perhaps less a musical than a revue allows him to cover and scorch greater ground, reaching as far back as the Kennedys and Nixon.’
- ‘It's a very American piece, like a sketch show, a revue about love, dating, marriage, children, divorce, death, so we go from being eight to 80 in the show.’
- ‘Take your pick from carol concerts with seasonal readings, Christmas revues, Dickensian productions of A Christmas Carol and Victorian music hall.’
- ‘In what now seems the olden days, West End theatres, notably the Palladium, the Prince of Wales and even the Adelphi, used to run revues or present speciality acts like an American singer surrounded by dancers and back-up acts.’
- ‘In many cases, well-qualified songs from musicals, operettas, vaudeville, and revues, as well as variety shows, music hall, and cafe concert, were recruited for use in cabarets.’
- ‘In the last decade of his life, composers such as Irving Berlin and Jerome Kern often solicited his services to write the ballet scores for elaborate dance routines in their revues or shows.’
- ‘Adding drama to the downtown scene are the melodramas and vaudeville revues presented at the Gaslighter Theater.’
- ‘It also offered popular education and supplied entertainment which drew on theatre, the revues, music, and cinema.’
- ‘The first evening's entertainment was a topless revue.’
- ‘Members of the newly-formed Actors' Community Theatre will perform their revue, The Opening Act, from Thursday to Saturday.’
- ‘Alongside his adult comedies and children's fantasies, he has co-written a host of musicals and revues, mainly with composer Paul Todd.’
- ‘Anyone who has seen a revue of their sketches in Germany knows how deliriously funny their work can be.’
- ‘Pinter's revue sketches have never been marginal doodles.’
- ‘Turner, who had worked as an emcee for male dance revues before getting into television, admits that there's a world of difference between men ‘dancing’ for women and women ‘stripping’ for men.’
- ‘It's a revue of songs written by Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller, plus a few other collaborators.’
- ‘Do not look here for wit, satire, or dazzling invention, in which the old-time revues abounded.’
- ‘What Jim Henson created was more than just a musical revue performed by puppets, it was Saturday Night Live for the milk and cookies set.’
- ‘The musical revue may have a place in the theatre, but it has a far cosier one in the kind of late-night club that has all but disappeared.’
- ‘The Shuberts, theater owners and producers, offered a series of revues called Artists and Models.’
- ‘Never having seen this Russian clown-show before, I was also struck by how much it resembled the revues of my youth.’
French, literally ‘review’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.