Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A pistol with revolving chambers enabling several shots to be fired without reloading.
- ‘Usually the toughest choice for an action star is whether to use a revolver or an assault rifle.’
- ‘A detailed analysis of weapons handed in shows the haul includes two revolvers, two single shot pistols and a converted blank firer.’
- ‘The engineers told me they had done high-speed video of people shooting these monster revolvers.’
- ‘Josie fires the revolver, and the sound of the shot explodes into the air and disappears into the water.’
- ‘Now I'm in hog heaven, with two fine revolvers to fire what is now my favorite handgun cartridge.’
- ‘He leapt up it as fast as he could, firing his last two revolver shots into the giant creature's head.’
- ‘Some houses were commandeered in the village, and a fierce volley of fire was opened up, as rifles, revolvers, and hand-grenades were utilised.’
- ‘Secondly, Robert De Niro threatens a creditor with a revolver he bought, the result of more borrowing.’
- ‘As Luke Fine drew and fired his Colt revolver, Charlie spun to his left as the bullets whizzed by him.’
- ‘I took it for granted she would know how to unload a double action revolver.’
- ‘He is accused of possessing a.22 double action Sentinel revolver recovered during a raid on a house in Toothill last year.’
- ‘Vintage Colt revolvers can still provide a great deal of shooting enjoyment.’
- ‘They left the native mechanic and a disgruntled Atlee on board and, armed with shotguns, revolvers and machetes, set out on foot into the jungle for the lake.’
- ‘Duke then fired two warning shots from his revolver, yet the freighter pressed on.’
- ‘It caused an immediate sensation and was clearly the best thing that had ever happened to double-action revolvers.’
- ‘The weapons included a revolver, a semi-automatic pistol and a sub-machine gun.’
- ‘Finger grooves are featured on the grips for double-action revolvers, while metal inserts provide consistent fit.’
- ‘Instead, place appropriate handgun accessories along with the pistols and revolvers in a display case.’
- ‘That's why full-size and large-frame pistols and revolvers sell better than pocket handguns.’
- ‘Simultaneously, men rose from their places on the grand stand, and fired three quick shots with revolvers into the air.’
2An agreement to provide revolving credit.
- ‘On Thursday, the parent of American Airlines, AMR Corp., said it planned to draw from its $255 million revolver to reduce its credit card reserves, following similar actions in the last week from General Motors, Goodyear Tire & Rubber and a handful of other companies.’
- ‘For good measure, O'Brien also won approval for his company's new international Swiss holding company to borrow directly against the revolver.’
- ‘In a business context, a revolver frequently is secured by the borrower's receivables and/or inventory.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.