One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A pistol with revolving chambers enabling several shots to be fired without reloading.
- ‘It caused an immediate sensation and was clearly the best thing that had ever happened to double-action revolvers.’
- ‘The weapons included a revolver, a semi-automatic pistol and a sub-machine gun.’
- ‘A detailed analysis of weapons handed in shows the haul includes two revolvers, two single shot pistols and a converted blank firer.’
- ‘The engineers told me they had done high-speed video of people shooting these monster revolvers.’
- ‘He is accused of possessing a.22 double action Sentinel revolver recovered during a raid on a house in Toothill last year.’
- ‘Secondly, Robert De Niro threatens a creditor with a revolver he bought, the result of more borrowing.’
- ‘Duke then fired two warning shots from his revolver, yet the freighter pressed on.’
- ‘Now I'm in hog heaven, with two fine revolvers to fire what is now my favorite handgun cartridge.’
- ‘Instead, place appropriate handgun accessories along with the pistols and revolvers in a display case.’
- ‘Finger grooves are featured on the grips for double-action revolvers, while metal inserts provide consistent fit.’
- ‘Simultaneously, men rose from their places on the grand stand, and fired three quick shots with revolvers into the air.’
- ‘Some houses were commandeered in the village, and a fierce volley of fire was opened up, as rifles, revolvers, and hand-grenades were utilised.’
- ‘Usually the toughest choice for an action star is whether to use a revolver or an assault rifle.’
- ‘I took it for granted she would know how to unload a double action revolver.’
- ‘Josie fires the revolver, and the sound of the shot explodes into the air and disappears into the water.’
- ‘As Luke Fine drew and fired his Colt revolver, Charlie spun to his left as the bullets whizzed by him.’
- ‘He leapt up it as fast as he could, firing his last two revolver shots into the giant creature's head.’
- ‘That's why full-size and large-frame pistols and revolvers sell better than pocket handguns.’
- ‘Vintage Colt revolvers can still provide a great deal of shooting enjoyment.’
- ‘They left the native mechanic and a disgruntled Atlee on board and, armed with shotguns, revolvers and machetes, set out on foot into the jungle for the lake.’
2An agreement to provide revolving credit.
- ‘In a business context, a revolver frequently is secured by the borrower's receivables and/or inventory.’
- ‘For good measure, O'Brien also won approval for his company's new international Swiss holding company to borrow directly against the revolver.’
- ‘On Thursday, the parent of American Airlines, AMR Corp., said it planned to draw from its $255 million revolver to reduce its credit card reserves, following similar actions in the last week from General Motors, Goodyear Tire & Rubber and a handful of other companies.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.