Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Causing intense disgust; disgusting:‘there was a revolting smell that lingered in the air’
- ‘This is a revolting gesture of superiority.’
- ‘No wonder I didn't know I had a brain when I was at home, or that I wasn't a totally revolting person.’
- ‘It is kind of funny in a revolting way.’
- ‘The most revolting thing I find about television is the commercials.’
- ‘I actually get quite offended if anyone dares to use that revolting word when referring to me.’
- ‘Then you become hugely desirable, in a revolting sort of way.’
- ‘"He is the most revolting human being I have ever met," Butler said.’
- ‘This defense makes his original speech all the more revolting.’
- ‘Conversely this produced the most revolting cruelty.’
- ‘The first involved much use of dried egg which has a revolting smell, not unlike that of fish food.’
- ‘There seems to be a competition going on amongst the senior managers to see who can wear the silliest or most revolting tie.’
- ‘There was a revolting smell that lingered in the air.’
- ‘Don't leave me there wondering exactly which revolting character flaw you found the biggest turn off.’
- ‘And when cops raided his house, they found evidence of an even more revolting crime.’
- ‘It is such a revolting thing to have happened to such an amazing man.’
- ‘I wonder what the revolting students find objectionable about that.’
- ‘The husband got disgustingly drunk and behaved in a revolting manner.’
- ‘Diego Martin has suddenly become the scene of some of the most revolting crimes.’
- ‘So if you also had a revolting time at the restaurant then please, let us know.’
- ‘This is a revolting confession, I know.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.