Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An effect whereby the sound produced by an amplifier or an amplified musical instrument is made to reverberate slightly.‘the best available Barios recording, despite reverb’
- ‘In Bacher's video, the camera pans the stage in a dizzying frenzy, zooming in and out of focus, while the band plays a frustrated riff on the song's chorus, interrupted by multiple sound checks and reverb.’
- ‘They even had a special microphone set up in the middle of the stage, equipped with reverb for dramatic effect.’
- ‘And with my 100-watt Fender reverb twin-pro amplifier (valve of course, not transistors), I could blow out my neighbour's windows if I really cranked it up.’
- ‘Much to his disappointment, it transpired that Sam's conversation with a deity could be explained by his amp picking up the random radio hissings of a passing cabbie - but passed through wah-wah and reverb, it sounded almost godly.’
- ‘As such, it's easy to see Tubby as a key progenitor of current remix methodologies and DJ practices with their heavy reliance on reverb and echo effects and mixers.’
- ‘Devoted fans will recognize a lot of the original backing tracks, which all have been remixed and dubbed up with plenty of spacey echo, harsh delay, copious reverb, and psychedelic sound effects.’
- ‘But wait… doesn't that reverb sound a bit too smooth for 1974?’
- ‘With just the right amount of reverb, this disc sounds great and shouldn't be dismissed as an insignificant live recording.’
- ‘The front soundstage was wide and deep, with surrounds used for slight reverb and ambient audience sounds.’
- ‘The typical electronic weirdness of the sound effects (often with reverb effects added to cymbals and electric guitar) is preserved, though occasionally soft-spoken lines are lost.’
- ‘Because there's no sound projecting upward, reverb from ceiling reflections is eliminated.’
- ‘The late 1990s saw the introduction of cheap hard disk and minidisk multi-track recorders, many with effects such as reverb and chorus built in.’
- ‘Even near-perfect samples are colored by reverb or effects in the source.’
- ‘How low can you set your buffers with 100 channels going, each with reverb, without the sound breaking up?’
- ‘From the cover photos of winterscapes and frigid oil rigs that look so cold they make your teeth hurt, to the label's signature sound of vast reverb and chill precision, ECM was made for Norway.’
- ‘‘For the most part, it was really subtle delays and reverbs on the voice and really nice compression,’ Johns recalls.’
- ‘Many of the audio recording programs come with their own native special effects such as reverb, compression, flanger, and chorus, to name a few.’
- ‘Each track is built from a simple drum pattern, being covered in keyboard noodling, reverb, echo, distortion and sound effects in order to achieve a dense, claustrophobic background.’
- ‘A constant tinkerer, Paul spent hours developing recording tricks like over-dubbing and guitar effects like reverb.’
- ‘The same money could have gotten me a brand new, solid-state amplifier, one with more power and even some neat effects like reverb and vibrato, but that's not what I wanted.’
- 1.1count noun A device for producing reverb.‘there are 16 effects available, including a number of reverbs’
- ‘The bottom line is, unless you're planning on tracking a multipiece band simultaneously with multiple headphone mixes, lots of plug-ins, virtual instruments and CPU-hogging reverbs, then you needn't worry about this problem.’
- ‘Unlike most other convolution reverbs, Space Designer can synthetically generate a virtual acoustic space and give you all kinds of ways to adjust it to your liking.’
- ‘Scott says that the reverbs he employed were ‘very simple because there was so little to use back then.’’
- ‘My favorite preset, Dual Backyard, is a true-stereo preset that uses two reverbs linked together.’
- ‘Again, that's something you can simulate with reverbs and delays.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.