Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The absorption by a presynaptic nerve ending of a neurotransmitter that it has secreted.
- ‘Cocaine acts by inhibiting norepinephrine reuptake in peripheral sympathetic nerve terminals as well as stimulating central sympathetic outflow.’
- ‘Concern is growing that serotonin reuptake inhibitors may precipitate suicidal behaviour, especially in children’
- ‘The drug blocks reuptake of noradrenaline and serotonin, promoting satiety.’
- ‘They prolong the effect of a neurotransmitter by blocking its reuptake after it ferries a signal across the gap from one nerve cell to the next.’
- ‘It inhibits serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine reuptake.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.