One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The absorption by a presynaptic nerve ending of a neurotransmitter that it has secreted.
- ‘It inhibits serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine reuptake.’
- ‘Concern is growing that serotonin reuptake inhibitors may precipitate suicidal behaviour, especially in children’
- ‘They prolong the effect of a neurotransmitter by blocking its reuptake after it ferries a signal across the gap from one nerve cell to the next.’
- ‘The drug blocks reuptake of noradrenaline and serotonin, promoting satiety.’
- ‘Cocaine acts by inhibiting norepinephrine reuptake in peripheral sympathetic nerve terminals as well as stimulating central sympathetic outflow.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.