Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Turned backwards.‘a retroflexed endoscope’
- ‘The retroflexed view confirmed a loose wrap with prolapsing gastric folds.’
- ‘Full frontal constraint may flatten the face, limit mandibular growth, and result in a retroflexed head with a prominent occipital shelf.’
- ‘The retroflexed view in the stomach demonstrated findings consistent with a slipped fundoplication.’
- ‘Scarring from adhesions as a result of endometriosis or fibroids can also cause the uterus to shift to a tilted or retroflexed state.’
- 1.1Phonetics Pronounced with the tip of the tongue curled up towards the hard palate.‘the retroflex /r’
- ‘Sicilian, phonetically characterized by the presence of retroflexed consonants, not only keeps all the vowel sounds clear and loud but introduces an epenthetic [i] in some consonantic groups.’
- ‘It is phonologically impossible since Tamil has no [z] sound and since the retroflex approximant sometimes romanized < z > cannot appear in initial position.’
- ‘Waymamba taught us the sounds of Yolngu Matha, the retroflexed T that sounds like an ‘rt’, like watu, dog, the elusive ‘ng’ that emerges from the back of the throat, heard in the word Yolngu, and the glottal stop that sounds like a hiccup.’
- ‘What struck me is the retroflexed ‘d’ at the end of the first clip.’
- ‘When you write an English word in Urdu, all the t's and d's are retroflex - indicated by a little sign over the top called ‘toy’ - it looks like the flat sign in western musical notation.’
Late 18th century: from Latin retroflex- bent backwards, from the verb retroflectere, from retro backwards + flectere to bend.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.