Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Situated or occurring behind the eyeball:‘a retrobulbar abscess’
- ‘The most serious potential adverse effect of EMB is ocular toxicity manifested by optic or retrobulbar neuritis, which exists in two forms and may affect one or both eyes.’
- ‘The benefits of using topical anesthesia outweigh the risks associated with general, retrobulbar, and peribulbar anesthesia.’
- ‘When the inflammation doesn't involve the optic disk, doctors refer to it as retrobulbar optic neuritis.’
- ‘Patients can choose from several forms of anesthesia - general, retrobulbar, peribulbar, or topical.’
- ‘In these cases, if the globe is proptotic and tense, the physician should suspect a retrobulbar hematoma.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.