Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Imitative of a style or fashion from the recent past.‘retro 60s fashions’
in period style, period, nostalgic, evocative, of yesteryear, olde worldeView synonyms
- ‘The 1980's retro styles will appear fresher because of the above knee shorter skirt length.’
- ‘They make music that, though heavily steeped in the past, is neither cold nor regular nor retro.’
- ‘The diner was an 80's retro diner that looked like it was still from the 80's.’
- ‘The decor is an eclectic mélange of retro and modern.’
- ‘But when a graphic designer uses a typeface that is older than 30 years, it is dismissed as retro, nostalgia or emptiness.’
- ‘The result is a car which is both modern and retro in its looks.’
- ‘The graphically crisp, retro lettering style adds a whiff of nostalgia to this evocation of language's reflexive capacity.’
- ‘The song pulled off a handsome trick, being both retro and modern simultaneously, combining the old Cullum with the new.’
- ‘Every designer needs a good stock photo collection or your designs may start to look dated or retro, awkward or tired.’
- ‘It was furnished in a retro - 1950s style, not because he liked that style, but because his mother had extra pieces she did not need.’
- ‘The resulting song feels overproduced and too distinctly current, and temporarily hinders the album's retro charm.’
- ‘‘It's easy to go retro because people are always going to be familiar with it,’ adds Olejar.’
- ‘They all turned to see a freckled face red-haired girl in a 80's retro type green dress and pumps.’
- ‘The style is heightened by the restrained color palette and decidedly retro feel to the animation.’
- ‘Making over the icon and putting the classic glass bottles back in circulation may have a certain retro appeal with Coke's younger drinkers.’
- ‘The Bandai-published remake delivers the best of both ages, making over retro robot designs with flashy modern animation.’
- ‘The Night Gallery is a small cabaret that has Hard Rock Café styled décor with retro memorabilia covering the walls from floor to ceiling.’
- ‘Its retro art style gives it an appealing timeless quality, an allegory about the relationship between humans and technology that sums up the core of all science fiction.’
- ‘It was almost a retro 50's style of a male high school student.’
- ‘The designers have pulled off the difficult trick of taking the inspiration from a classic shape while making the car look fresh rather than retro.’
Retro clothes, music, or style.‘a look which mixes Italian casual wear and American retro’
- ‘The shoes that are retros now were once the newest thing.’
- ‘It's new, but cannily designed with a heavy dose of retro.’
- ‘A ‘Top Ten’ for 2004 is tough, so I've come up with a top ten of best viewing experiences, some being retros seen again or for the first time - no real order.’
- ‘When it's done well, retro isn't biting; it's a novel and economical use of widely available ingredients.’
1960s: from French rétro, abbreviation of rétrograde ‘retrograde’.
- short for retrorocket
- ‘Vix hit the retros, frantically pulled up so that the Eternal's nose was almost hitting the ceiling, and activated the belly thrusters at full power just before they hit the wall.’
- ‘The protective armor cowlings lifted up and the retros let loose with a thunderous blast that slowed the ship down a lot, but not enough.’
- ‘Air brakes sprang from the hull and the plasma retros fired a controlled burst.’
- ‘The retros acted as an emergency brake in such instances.’
- ‘One last flash from the retros, and they were motionless.’
- ‘Just before landing, the retros of the landing sled would fire, and the Blazer would touch down.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.