One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A collection of donations from people as they leave an event, typically for a charity or to cover the expenses of performers or speakers at the event itself.
- ‘Our retiring collections this year are allocated to the Yorkshire Air Ambulance.’
- ‘The retiring collection was given to the window restoration of Holy Trinity Church, Portlaw.’
- ‘At St George's Church in Kendal, the retiring collection on Sunday raised £1,100 for the appeal.’
- ‘Entry is free and a retiring collection will be made.’
- ‘A special service will be held at the church on Hamble Lane, starting at 6pm, with a retiring collection for the appeal.’
- ‘There will be a retiring collection for the Royal British Legion.’
- ‘Retiring collection at the service will be in aid of the local branch of St. Vincent de Pauls.’
- ‘For your interest the retiring collection made £155.37 for the World Wide Fund for Nature.’
- ‘Thank you for your offerings to the retiring collection which amounted to £323 which we plan to spend on playground equipment.’
- ‘Admission is free, but there will be a retiring collection.’
- ‘The retiring collection was donated to the British Heart Foundation.’
- ‘Admission to the Witham concert is free but there will be a retiring collection in aid of the Chernobyl Children's Project, Mrs Martin's official mayoral charity.’
- ‘The retiring collection will be in aid of Laurie's charities: Medical Foundation for the Victims of Torture, Shelter, Age Concern, FORCE Cancer Research and the Cancer Relief Macmillan Fund.’
- ‘There is no admission charge to the recitals but there will be a retiring collection.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.