One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A house or flat in a group or block designed for the needs of old and retired people.
- ‘‘Hi. I'm here to visit Maria Furmano,’ Josh said at the security guard's desk when we arrived at the retirement home.’
- ‘Munetomo says he runs the largest retirement home in the Philippines specifically catering to Japanese retirees.’
- ‘Grandparents often live in their own house or a retirement home; women frequently work outside the home.’
- ‘My age seems to finally be getting to me and I'm going to have to move into a retirement home.’
- ‘I could see why elderly people would want to live in this particular retirement home.’
- ‘You might host a fundraiser for a retirement home in your neighborhood or trim the Christmas tree for the elderly couple next door.’
- ‘Over time it gradually strayed from its mandate and became a desirable retirement home for wealthy citizens.’
- ‘I had seen his picture in the retirement home, framed and hanging on my grandmother's wall.’
- ‘A half hour later, I was walking into the retirement home that Josh's grandmother lived in.’
- ‘Shaun Lawson photographed residents in a retirement home for his Home Portraits series.’
- ‘He had left his car at the retirement home the last time he had visited his grandmother, so we had to walk to the restaurant.’
- ‘They were an elderly couple that had lived in the retirement home for years.’
- ‘But they weren't ready for an apartment or a retirement home.’
- 1.1 An institution for elderly people needing care.
institution, residential home, nursing home, old people's home, convalescent home, rest home, children's homeView synonyms
- ‘A kindly gentleman at a posh retirement home / hospital likes to read to the white-haired lady, whose memory is on the blink.’
- ‘Interestingly, the word disability has not been defined in the legislation but the industry is interpreting this as including the need to enter a retirement home.’
- ‘As the average life span of Norwegians has increased, a shortage of nursing and retirement homes has developed.’
- ‘It is clear from the financial and affidavit materials filed that the only reasonable accommodation for Mrs. Schryer is at a long term care facility and retirement home.’
- ‘The housing stock may prove inappropriate for future needs if more and more elderly end their days in retirement homes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.