One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The age at which most people normally retire from work.
- ‘Thus, there is some evidence that many baby boomers will not retire at the traditional retirement age of about 65.’
- ‘If you are a salaried person and a member of a pension fund, you can be forced to go on retirement at the official retirement age, which is typically at age 60.’
- ‘Who really wants their name associated with increasing the state retirement age or compelling people to save more?’
- ‘Some analysts recommend the alternative approach of raising the minimum retirement age from 65 to 70 or beyond.’
- ‘The retirement age will be five years higher than it is now’
- ‘By 2030 we will be living on average into our eighties, rendering the retirement age of 65 highly questionable.’
- ‘Retirees face the prospect of dwindling benefits and an ever-climbing retirement age.’
- ‘Canada has introduced a flexible retirement age from 60 to 70.’
- ‘According to the Office of National Statistics, more and more women are working past their state retirement age of 60, due to inadequate pension provision.’
- ‘Politically, raising the retirement age is the least popular of all proposals for Social Security reform.’
- ‘More than 40% believe that a set retirement age encourages age discrimination and should be abolished.’
- ‘Several months before, she had retired from her job as a public servant in the Ota Ward Office in Tokyo upon reaching the compulsory retirement age of 60.’
- ‘The retirement age is sixty-five for men and sixty for women.’
- ‘Some workers may want to continue working until they reach the normal retirement age, but others may not have that option.’
- ‘As a result, more than a million people beyond the state retirement age are in paid employment, according to the latest figures from the Office for National Statistics.’
- ‘He was a couple of years past the official retirement age but making money and making arrangements for the future had never been high on his list of priorities.’
- ‘It is also argued that a continuing reduction in the real value of the State Pension and the shift away from defined benefit occupational pensions will serve to increase the retirement age.’
- ‘Under current law, the retirement age is scheduled to increase to 67 by 2027.’
- ‘Of course, an aging population needn't necessarily be a problem for the economy, provided the average retirement age rises at the same rate as the median age.’
- ‘Most workers decide to retire early instead of waiting to reach the normal retirement age, which is the point when they receive full benefits.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.