One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A yellow compound found in green and yellow vegetables, egg yolk, and fish-liver oil. It is essential for growth and for vision in dim light.
A carotenoid alcohol; chemical formula: C₂₀H₂₉OHAlso called vitamin A
- ‘Opt for products that contain skin-lightening ingredients like retinol, vitamin C and licorice.’
- ‘Retinoic acid is derived mainly by local synthesis through the enzymatic oxidation of retinol.’
- ‘Retinol can help skin cells turn over faster so you won't have a lackluster complexion in the A.M.’
- ‘Multivitamins and breakfast cereals were two of the largest sources of retinol, though many brands get some of their vitamin A from beta-carotene.’
- ‘Most skin types can benefit from retinol, a derivative of vitamin A.’
1960s: from retina + -ol.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.