One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Tile (a room or surface) again.
- ‘The local swimming pool, from whence I am just returned, is repainting and retiling.’
- ‘Inside, the leaks were stopped, the floors retiled, and the beautiful stained glass was cleaned and outside you can now look up to fine white verandahs and pretty cupolas.’
- ‘Their first step was a major cosmetic overhaul, updating the house with simplicity and consistency in mind: sanding down textured walls and ceilings, painting, refinishing wood floors, replacing chandeliers, and retiling counters.’
- ‘It's just I've been retiling the bathroom today and I'm beginning to feel like a proper workman.’
- ‘They spent the day re-painting tired-looking dog kennels which house some of the hundreds of animals brought in to the centre for care each year, and helped to retile part of the building's reception area.’
- ‘Unfortunately the tiles are now far more obvious, and as they are a kind of greenish brown they look rather tasteless, but unless I retile the whole room, and change the bath, sink and toilet I'm stuck with them.’
- ‘A west-facing 15 sq m roof would currently cost #16 200 to retile with solar panels.’
- ‘Structures have been strengthened, archways rebuilt, mosaic floors retiled and chapels repainted - lavender blue, daffodil yellow, sunset red.’
- ‘The bathroom and the floor were supposed to be retiled and new slabs laid on the driveway, she said.’
- ‘One 700-ft-long busy passageway needs retiling and relighting.’
- ‘Locals won't notice many changes in the first six months, but Brown said they plan to retile, add a stage, and someday even have additional stores in other cities.’
- ‘This is why our simple kitchen updating has inspired us to retile our fireplace in the family room and tear out the master bathroom cabinetry.’
- ‘The centre point is still the large dance floor with the dark, low-ceiling tunnel bar area adjacent, but the floors have been retiled, the walls painted and a new bar added at the top of the stairs.’
- ‘The entrance floor also needs to be sealed, the bathroom mirrors hung, the porch retiled, shelves put up and a safety rail fitted on the balustrade.’
- ‘So is it normal practice to have to retile an indoor swimming pool after only eight years?’
- ‘We understand what people are saying but we won't be carrying out any more improvements in the near future, other than to retile the underpass.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.