Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A fine network or net-like structure.
web, criss-cross, grid, lattice, net, matrix, mesh, webbing, tracery, trellisView synonyms
- ‘The cytoplasm contained numerous mitochondria, fragmented rough endoplasmic reticula, small lipid droplets, and free ribosomes.’
- ‘The muscle of the gallbladder consists of longitudinal, oblique, and transverse fibers forming a single incomplete layer, a reticulum of muscle bundles separated by connective tissue.’
- ‘In the cytoplasm of the tumor cell, abundant free ribosomes were recognized, but well-developed rough endoplasmic reticula were few.’
- ‘The typical stellate reticulum and microcyst formation often seen in follicular ameloblastoma, however, was rarely encountered.’
- ‘Generally, oxidative stress in skeletal muscles leads to an increase in cytosolic calcium levels and a slowed rate of calcium uptake into the sarcoplasmic reticulum.’
- ‘Generally, cuboidal T2 pneumocytes were located in depressions created by the reticulum of capillaries of the alveolar wall.’
The second stomach of a ruminant, having a honeycomb-like structure, receiving food from the rumen and passing it to the omasum.
- ‘All digesta was removed and weighed from the reticulum, omasal folds, mid-omasum, abomasum, small intestine, caecum, colon, and rectum.’
Mid 17th century: from Latin, diminutive of rete net.
1A small southern constellation (the Net), between Dorado and Hydrus.
- 1.1as genitive Reticuli /rɪˈtɪkjʊlʌɪ/ Used with preceding letter or numeral to designate a star in this constellation:‘the star Beta Reticuli’
- 1.1as genitive Reticuli /rɪˈtɪkjʊlʌɪ/ Used with preceding letter or numeral to designate a star in this constellation:
Latin, diminutive of rete net.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.