Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or denoting a diverse system of fixed and circulating phagocytic cells (macrophages and monocytes) involved in the immune response. They are spread throughout the body, and are especially common in the liver, spleen, and lymphatic system.Also called lymphoreticular
- ‘Macrophages throughout the reticuloendothelial system ingest and sequester the organism.’
- ‘We speculated about the possible involvement of the cutaneous reticuloendothelial system in the clearance of the skin lesions.’
- ‘Dengue virus antigen has been found in a variety of tissues, predominately the liver and reticuloendothelial system.’
- ‘Infections in these patients localize to the viscera rather than the skin, and parasites are found throughout the reticuloendothelial system.’
- ‘Their cell membranes rupture and the released hemoglobin is phagocytized by reticuloendothelial cells throughout the body.’
1920s: from reticulum + endothelial (see endothelium).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.