One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The quality of being reticent; reserve.‘the traditional emotional reticence of the British’
reserve, introversion, restraint, inhibition, diffidence, shyness, modesty, distance, undemonstrativenessView synonyms
- ‘This really very scary Japanese ghost story from director Hideo Nakata exerts a chilling grip with its icy calm and eerie reticence.’
- ‘He radiated a peculiar combination of warmth and reticence; a combination which suggested he would remain perfectly pleasant, so long as one kept a reasonable distance.’
- ‘That said, the compression and reticence of Italian high modernist poetry are still prominent stylistic features in Italian verse.’
- ‘The reticence of our style, chosen, we thought, as appropriate to the forum, requires each reader to substantiate our claims on their own.’
- ‘Yet there was continual evidence of reticence among even supposed supporters.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.