Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for resale price maintenance
- ‘In recent years they have lobbied successfully against Sunday trading laws, restrictions on opening hours, the net book agreement, retail price maintenance for pharmaceuticals, and a proposed tax on their polluting car parks.’
- ‘‘This is the end of retail price maintenance on products and is great news for our customers,’ a Sainsbury's spokesman said.’
- ‘In the last year of Conservative government, Heath, as president of the Board of Trade, surprised many by introducing controversial legislation to abolish retail price maintenance.’
- ‘Unfair discrimination and retail price maintenance (setting a minimum price for goods) will also be outlawed.’
- ‘With retail price maintenance embodied in law, the only way in which it was felt that Woolworths could compete against the more established and specialist music retailers was to develop a cheaper alternative - budget music.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.