One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a number of plants which are able to survive drought, typically folding up when dry and unfolding when moistened.
- ‘A few unusual so-called resurrection plants are able to survive extreme loss of water from their vegetative tissues.’
- ‘The species of resurrection plant known in Zulu as ‘isiphemba’ or ‘isiqumama’ is used for asthma treatment, nose bleeds, general aches and as an anti-inflammatory.’
- ‘The resurrection plant Craterostigma plantagineum is able to survive almost complete tissue dehydration when water is withheld from it, and then can rehydrate rapidly on rewatering.’
- ‘Until recently, trehalose metabolism was thought to be of physiological importance in only a few plant species, such as resurrection plants, where its accumulation to high levels enables protection from desiccation.’
- ‘Sucrose is the predominant sugar accumulated in the dehydrated leaf tissue of all resurrection plants studied to date.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.