One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a number of plants which are able to survive drought, typically folding up when dry and unfolding when moistened.
the rose of Jericho.
a fern of tropical and warm-temperate America (Polypodium polypodioides, family Polypodiaceae).
a Californian clubmoss (Selaginella lepidophylla, family Selaginellaceae).
- ‘The species of resurrection plant known in Zulu as ‘isiphemba’ or ‘isiqumama’ is used for asthma treatment, nose bleeds, general aches and as an anti-inflammatory.’
- ‘Sucrose is the predominant sugar accumulated in the dehydrated leaf tissue of all resurrection plants studied to date.’
- ‘A few unusual so-called resurrection plants are able to survive extreme loss of water from their vegetative tissues.’
- ‘Until recently, trehalose metabolism was thought to be of physiological importance in only a few plant species, such as resurrection plants, where its accumulation to high levels enables protection from desiccation.’
- ‘The resurrection plant Craterostigma plantagineum is able to survive almost complete tissue dehydration when water is withheld from it, and then can rehydrate rapidly on rewatering.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.