One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a number of plants which are able to survive drought, typically folding up when dry and unfolding when moistened.
a fern of tropical and warm-temperate America (Polypodium polypodioides, family Polypodiaceae).
the rose of Jericho.
a Californian clubmoss (Selaginella lepidophylla, family Selaginellaceae).
- ‘Until recently, trehalose metabolism was thought to be of physiological importance in only a few plant species, such as resurrection plants, where its accumulation to high levels enables protection from desiccation.’
- ‘Sucrose is the predominant sugar accumulated in the dehydrated leaf tissue of all resurrection plants studied to date.’
- ‘The resurrection plant Craterostigma plantagineum is able to survive almost complete tissue dehydration when water is withheld from it, and then can rehydrate rapidly on rewatering.’
- ‘A few unusual so-called resurrection plants are able to survive extreme loss of water from their vegetative tissues.’
- ‘The species of resurrection plant known in Zulu as ‘isiphemba’ or ‘isiqumama’ is used for asthma treatment, nose bleeds, general aches and as an anti-inflammatory.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.