Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having a quiet and soothing quality.‘the rooms were cool and restful’
relaxed, relaxing, quiet, calm, calming, tranquil, soothing, peaceful, placid, reposeful, comfortable, leisurely, easy-going, undisturbed, free from disturbance, free from interference, free from interruption, untroubled, unhurriedView synonyms
- ‘It is a very restful area amongst the hustle and bustle of the city.’
- ‘Most people take sleep for granted and fail to observe some simple and healthy habits that help get a restful sleep.’
- ‘He let himself fall asleep, the restful glade soothing him.’
- ‘It's a delicious blend of frankincense, marjoram, sandalwood and lavender that promotes a restful sleep.’
- ‘The world around her darkened as she fell into a deep restful and peaceful sleep.’
- ‘You can expect a restful time or brief vacation to rejuvenate energy.’
- ‘Music is also put to good use in the baby sleeping room, where there is also a dragonfly light feature creating a restful atmosphere.’
- ‘Light candles and burn oils to create a restful and tranquil environment.’
- ‘I get a restful sleep without waking up in the middle of the night.’
- ‘The calm and restful effect is best appreciated from the patio, which wraps around the rear of the house.’
- ‘It seems like such a small gesture: it doesn't hurt, doesn't take long and is extremely restful.’
- ‘Worries filled Rebecca's mind not letting her get any sleep or restful period.’
- ‘The colour green is relaxing, the most restful and passive to the eye and mind.’
- ‘The couple have created a peaceful, restful place, with a wide range of colourful flowers.’
- ‘As we looked at the paintings, we overheard another gallery visitor saying to her friend that the works were very restful.’
- ‘Instead my sleep was restful and peaceful, something it had not been for many years.’
- ‘But if what you want is a restful retreat, then this is the place for you.’
- ‘The audience soaked in the restful ambience as it looked forward to the lecture on aesthetics in Indian art and thought.’
- ‘With a bit of imagination and a few dollars to spend a balcony can become a haven of green and restful tranquillity.’
- ‘This has been a quiet and restful spell of days after a restless but interesting week.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.