One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dining car.
- ‘But the rain stopped as suddenly as it had begun, and the sun was already steaming the water buffalo dry as a ragged chorus wafted back from the restaurant car.’
- ‘It had been ‘a blast’, Tiger said, as we shook hands in the restaurant car park. ‘I had a great time today, Tim.’
- ‘She said that on a solo trip to Edinburgh by train, she decided to sample lunch in the restaurant car.’
- ‘Now with a second Pullman car and an additional buffet car set to enter traffic, along with a completely refurbished restaurant car, we certainly can't be accused of resting on our laurels.’
- ‘Unlike most trains, there are no connecting corridors on the Palace on Wheels; if you're having a drink in the club carriage or dining in the restaurant car you must stay there until the next stop before returning to your compartment.’
- ‘The members, who were making their third trip to the festival, dined in a 1950s restaurant car as part of the second annual steam gala weekend.’
- ‘Emma was a customer service assistant in the restaurant car of the train involved in the crash.’
- ‘At 10 o'clock last Monday morning he apologised for the late arrival of the train to Bournemouth that had no restaurant car or buffet service.’
- ‘The train, to operate throughout the year, will have 18 coaches including 11 air-conditioned salon cars; one air-conditioned bar car; one conference car; one air-conditioned restaurant car; one staff car; two power cars.’
- ‘They do not have a restaurant car but they do have a trolley service during the day.’
- ‘Since then the company has found another 35 carriages, a mixture of restaurant cars, sleepers and Pullmans, all of which have been beautifully restored at workshops in England, Belgium and Germany.’
- ‘Just entering a crowded restaurant car on the train back to Stockholm on Thursday gave me a brutal headache from the confusion and volume of voices.’
- ‘Just before lunch, a dining car waiter came through the train with a food/drink cart and extolled his exceptional dining car meals in German, Hungarian and English - ‘Fabulous, authentic Hungarian cuisine in our restaurant car today.’’
- ‘The Ministry of Food even gave the railway special dispensation to operate its restaurant car without the requirement for food stamps.’
- ‘Of course, travelling economy class also means no luxurious restaurant car.’
- ‘The company employs 100 chefs who cook more than 200,000 meals which are served each year in first class restaurant cars on the company's mainline trains.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.