One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A place where people pay to sit and eat meals that are cooked and served on the premises.
eating place, eating houseView synonyms
- ‘A large number of pubs serving food and restaurants now offer no smoking areas or no smoking at all.’
- ‘He was going to meet her at the most expensive restaurant in town!’
- ‘The resort's restaurants offer a variety of local and international food.’
- ‘All the stores and fast-food restaurants were closed for the day.’
- ‘The market for coffee shops and convenience restaurants has exploded in recent years.’
- ‘It will be an unique urban quarter with cafes, restaurants and places in which to relax.’
- ‘It's one of my favourite restaurants, partly for the food but mainly for the atmosphere.’
- ‘This is also the place to seek out some of the best, and cheapest, restaurants in the whole of France.’
- ‘When Lou's father was young, he started a restaurant in the city.’
- ‘The pub now has two restaurants serving anything from sausages to shark steaks.’
- ‘On the camp site is a well stocked shop and a restaurant, that also serves takeaway dishes.’
- ‘She'd taken him out for dinner at one of the more expensive restaurants in town.’
- ‘The few local shops and restaurants catering to summer visitors are closed for the season.’
- ‘A customer of a restaurant is deeply affected by the manner in which staff serve them.’
- ‘Fred decides to take his family and friends for a meal at an expensive restaurant.’
- ‘Along the way are bars and restaurants ideal for a sunset drink in the soft sea breeze.’
- ‘Why not pause to eat at a decent restaurant and have a recommended local wine with your meal?’
- ‘Six women in their late twenties are gathered in a London restaurant for dinner.’
- ‘Eating out is easy with over 700 restaurants catering to a broad range of tastes.’
- ‘"I own the Italian restaurant down the street.’
Early 19th century: from French, from restaurer ‘provide food for’ (literally ‘restore to a former state’).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.