One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A roadside area with restrooms and other facilities for the use of motorists; a lay-by.
- ‘He simply appeared one evening at the rest area on Interstate 91 in Lyndonville.’
- ‘Tess took a deep breath and turned down the radio, as she came upon an exit that promised a rest area.’
- ‘I am sitting parked in the rest area along Interstate 90 in Minnesota.’
- ‘This is a designated rest area for Truck Drivers Only, Strictly no camping.’
- ‘He glanced at a sign and realized that he was approaching a rest area.’
- ‘She jumped into her car, started the engine, revved it loudly, and then spun out of the parking space and left the rest area at a high rate of speed.’
- ‘It is well worth pausing at the rest area as you approach Lake Tekapo to enjoy the view and take photographs.’
- ‘I can't imagine driving alone on the interstate and needing to stop at a rest area and having to use a mixed-sex bathroom!’
- ‘We pulled into a rest area to make phone calls and stretch our legs.’
- ‘He remembered seeing him at the rest area that night.’
- ‘We drove into a rest area and he put the car in park.’
- ‘They were in the next city 27 kilometres away, parked in a small rest area.’
- ‘He smiled to himself as the car pulled out of the rest area, back onto the highway.’
- ‘Shortly after they set off, Rhodes pulled into a rest area to sleep.’
- ‘These were posts with government offices, lounges, restaurants, snack booths and all the facilities that you would find in a rest area along today's modern highways.’
- ‘Margaret was silent for a time, trying to get it straight in her mind, and then she related the events that happened at the rest area before he got there.’
- ‘Two questions come to mind as I get out of the car at the rest area: how can anyone live with this humidity, and what is that unearthly shrill whine?’
- ‘As the two men slept in a rest area at the side of a motorway, a witness recognised their vehicle from police warnings on television.’
- ‘In Ireland, our motorway network is expanding rapidly, yet we have yet to build one motorway filling station or rest area.’
- ‘We left the rest area and went along the interstate to the next exit, where we got off and drove on home.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.