Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The mass of a body when at rest.
- ‘A photon has zero rest mass, but it carries energy and momentum.’
- ‘Wolfgang Pauli suggested in 1930 that beta decay must involve a third particle that would be neutral, have negligible rest mass and a spin of one-half.’
- ‘The neutrino was known from the start to be an extraordinarily light particle, perhaps massless, since its rest mass could never be detected.’
- ‘Any object with a non-zero rest mass (like a dust mote) can never reach light speed.’
- ‘The concept of the rest mass derives from special relativity.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.