Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The ratio of the volume of carbon dioxide evolved to that of oxygen consumed by an organism, tissue, or cell in a given time.
- ‘Breath-by-breath gas analysis was used to determine peak oxygen uptake, exercise ventilation, and respiratory quotient.’
- ‘The respiratory quotient is the amount of CO 2 relative to the amount of O 2 consumed (in normal situations this is approximately 0.8)’
- ‘The alveolar-arterial oxygen pressure difference was calculated for each sample by the alveolar gas equation, using the measured respiratory quotient during the same time point of exercise.’
- ‘The respiratory quotient may also reflect tissue damage.’
- ‘The respiratory quotient was often outside normal parameters.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.