Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for hyaline membrane disease
- ‘Absorption through the lungs as a result of breathing aerosolised ricin leads to serious lung damage, including pulmonary oedema, pneumonia, and adult respiratory distress syndrome.’
- ‘However, pulmonary complications can be significant and include effusion, empyema, pneumothorax, and respiratory distress syndrome.’
- ‘Other findings may include skin ulcers, sore throat, pleural effusions, pneumonia, acute respiratory distress syndrome, and pericarditis.’
- ‘This cascade of events may lead to primary graft dysfunction, which represents a spectrum of injury ranging from mild pulmonary edema to a clinical picture similar to the acute respiratory distress syndrome.’
- ‘Trauma is another cause of the acute respiratory distress syndrome, and traumatic brain injury causes neurogenic pulmonary edema.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.